Monday, September 8, 2008

Weekend trip to Eureka Springs, AR

We had a wonderful time in Eureka Springs. It's an artsy community. Used to be old hippies and artists. Well, I guess it still is! When we got into town we noticed alot of classic cars in town. It was the weekend of the Antique Car Clubs show and parade. I used to go there every year with my mom and dad! My dad restored antique cars and I loved to go to the shows with them. He ended up "specializing" in 1958 Chevys. One of them he restored is in a museum in Arizona.


Here are some shots of the town. It is built into the side of cliffs and hills. Some shops are down stairs off the street. There are alot of Victorian houses in town too that have been turned into b & b's.







This shop had some great old folk art and upstairs there were quite a few old hooked rugs. Some of them were in pretty bad shape, but I'll bet someone could restore them.





We stayed at a bed and breakfast called The Veranda Inn. I Would Not recommend it to anyone. It is a beautiful place.........


but... they hadn't dusted the room, (furniture, wood floors, etc) in a while. Here's my morning greeting from hubby.



Saturday morning I heard my husband talking to one of the guys that own the place and I asked him what they were talking about. He said he was tellling us where a good place for breakfast was!!! This is a bed and breakfast!! Friday evening I went downstairs looking for some ice. The guy said the ice machine is broken and I just haven't felt like going to get any!

Then take a look at this!!! See the ghost above the bed? I got a killer migraine after sleeping there for one night. We got our stuff and left at about 9:00 Saturday morning. We really have no idea what the white spot above my head is. Weird.....Ooohhh......




We had dinner at Shawbee's Big Dog Saloon. After we ate we had a few beers and played pool with the locals. I beat the first guy I played and then hubby beat the next!! They asked if we came to town to hustle them?!?. Neither of us have played pool in a year. It was karioke night too. One poor girl was sooo bad. Every time I was making a shot at the pool table she would hit a high note and I would have to wait to shoot!! She was having a great time though. That's what it's all about.



And finally here are some shots of the antique cars in line for the parade. It winds all through the town up and down the narrow winding streets. Kids line the streets waiting for candy to be thrown to them by the passengers. (That was my job when I was with my parents)











A 1958 Chevy. Aren't they cool?





And then finally.... here are my two favorite cars that were there.




OK...OK...I'll shut up!!! It's almost midnight. I have to get up early tomorrow. I start a class at St. Johns hospital on how to manage your life and health with fibromyalgia. It's a six week class intended to help us with coping skills. Wish me luck!

Peace, Sheri

8 comments:

Mary Stanley said...

What a fun weekend trip! I'd love to see those rugs!
Love all your hooked rugs!!!

Unknown said...

Sheri, look as tho you had a great time in Eureka. I spent my honeymoon there 18 years ago, and have never been back.
Enjoy your day.

katie

JoJo said...

Sheri, good luck with your class. I attend a support group for fibromyalgia that meets every 3 months.

I really enjoyed your pictures of Eureka Springs. I'd love to visit there and your pictures remind me of the Old Market area in Omaha. Too bad your experience in the B & B was not the best.

But hey, I didn't realize you were a believer in ghosts. The white orbs are supposed to be friendly but watch out for the orange orbs!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Hi Sheri ~ the b & b sounds just awful ~ but I love the orb in the picture! You were not alone ~ and they wanted you to have proof!! What a fun weekend ~ thanks for sharing!
Alice

Tammy Burks said...

Sheri,
Freaky with the white orb....I thought that only happens at the Crescent!!!
Cool cars....I think that one of the red ones was an older Mustang like I had when I first started driving....I loved that car!

ShabbySheep said...

I didn't know the white orbs were the "friendly" ones! I thought for sure that's why I had a migraine the next day. (Not the beer) This is the first picture I have seen with a strange orb. Freaks me out!!!

dulcy said...

I agree with Alice. Ya know....some of those old houses in Eureka are said to be haunted. I believe there's even a haunted house tour around Halloween. Maybe someone at your B&B just hadn't "checked out" yet!

dulcy

Anonymous said...

I heard the white orbs were like guardian angels. You don't really notice them on light walls but I have a dark red wall and I see them all the time...in photos.